Thursday, June 6, 2019

A Tale of Two Apples

Death and life are in the power of the tongue....Proverbs 18:21


Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles. Proverbs 21:23


We hear these messages and more like these in the Bible but do we really take them to heart? Or do we even believe they are truth? Do words really matter THAT much? I have often said my mouth gets me in trouble, but growing up, I actually prided myself in having the last word, whether is was a good word or not. I had to be able to be right. Now I know, as an adult, that I have done years of damage by speaking the wrong words and thinking the wrong thoughts.

For as a man thinks in his heart, so is he... Proverbs 23:7

Let me take this a step further and have us consider whether or not our words said over time have become the truth about our lives. What we fear, what we SAY we fear, and ruminate on or worry about....have those things ever come to pass in your life, after keeping your mind parked on that place? I won't go into details about what issues this has been the case for me, but I will just say that it has happened to me. And I have become what some of my limiting beliefs about myself said I was too. I thank God for showing me clearly that the power to change things lies with me. If you don't believe that our words have power to bring about good or bad, I am about to show you shocking visual proof.
Take a look at these two random apples, both taken from the same bag bought at the store, having been in our house for the same amount of time, and I will tell you a story about these two apples.


They look the same in this picture, do they not? Well it happened that a dear friend of mine and I had been talking about the power of our words and the importance of speaking life and love over every situation, instead of negativity and complaint. She told me over lunch once that a friend of hers had written words on two pieces of fruit. On one, life and love, and words like that. On the other, words like hate and death and curse words that are commonly said in our culture. And she put them away. My friend relayed to me that one piece of fruit, the one with the life giving words on it, stayed in perfect condition. The other, with the words of death on it, rotted through! What? Seems unbelievable but I DID believe her. I agreed that words have more power than we know. Then not long after that, this friend made a social media post about two jars of cooked rice in which the same thing was done. The jar of rice weeks later that had beautiful words written on it still looked like rice. The jar with the hateful words on it rotted to the point of being brown liquid! Both had the same amount of rice and the jars had been tightly sealed. I decided to try this for myself. Some people I know told me they did not believe anything would happen. I honestly was unsure of what was going to take place but I tried it. On one apple, I wrote words of love and life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment